Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My latest CQ block and another project

This is my latest block. My bedroom is done in leopard prints with black and rust red accents. I made this block to send on a sane round robin to make a wall hanging for my wall. The walls are a taupe color with one accent wall in rusty red. the rusty red wall has needed a wall hanging since I did the room, just could never decide what to put there. Now I am going to get my fellow quilters to help me make one. A couple of these fabrics came via my quilting friend Biffy in South Africa. The rest I have saved over the years. I added a button cluster in the top right, a starburst on the left top with a mirror in it. I couldn't not for the life of me figure out that technique where you sew in a mirror but I did figure out how to do it with beads and like the way it turned out. Oh, and I have those paper mache parrots hanging all over my room, one is 3 foot long, so had to add one to the block on the black patch. A zebra and giraffe charm and some bead flowers are on the center patch. The leopard is peeking out amongst the branches on the right patch. The rest I didn't think really needed anything but some seam treatments, but who knows, I might add something to them later. Oh and two of the seam treatments are coconut shell beads I have been saving for something for years. I will be putting a backing on it to protect the threads from getting pulled and a border of black to make it easier to add borders to in the RR.
This is a wall hanging I did for a class taught by Shirley in the Kaye Woods group. It is called a 3 fabric wall hanging and I like the way it turned out. The focus fabric is some I bought the whole bolt of cos I thought it was just gorgeous and it was only $1.00 a yard. It has a sparkle to it that I hope shows up in the close up of the picture. I plan to use some of it to make a tree skirt as well. It is a 60" wide fabric and has the ice pond and trees and all on both edges along with a pretty border. Just a great fabric. the big tree on the left is part of it but the red accent parts and birds are not part of it.

That is what I have been working on as well as another CQ block in blue and white I am going to make a pillow out of for a family reunion auction coming up the 23rd of this month. Will post pics of it soon as I finish it.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I hope you will get some pics of the RR along the way. I will love seeing how it develops. I always encourage pics after every border of my RR, 'cause I like to see how things grow. That bottom pic is a neat piece. I love how the tree on the right comes out of the picture, onto the frame.

A Little About Me

Hi and Welcome! I am 50 years old, married with 2 girls Andrea and Crystal, and 3 grandchildren. A girl, Jesi who is 13 that we are raising and a boy, Christian, who is 6 and, lives with Mom. Andrew James or Peanut is 6months old and brother to Jesi. We live in a house built in 1897 that is not in the best of shape but we are working on it and we love it. It is a 2 story colonial style with big columns and a big wrap around front porch. We also have 6 cats, of which only part of are allowed in the house, and 5 dogs. A Momma dog and 4 puppies. She had 9, we gave one away, then they all came down with parvo. I lost 4 but was able to save 4. A heartrending experience but was just glad to be able to save any. No help from the vet as they want so much money but found some homeopathic remedies that actually worked. I also have a 7 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that is my baby. She goes everywhere with me, sleeps under the covers with me, and is just the cutest thing ever.